Comments are moderated on this blog. While I have a strong inclination against suppressing discussion or deleting contributions, I want to be certain that discussion is relevant and substantive (or at least amusing).
Just like in the non-electronic world, people are welcome to agree or disagree with me as they wish. That is not a standard for approving or rejecting a comment. But whichever one of these a commenter is doing, I will be especially happy to see:
- Comments that contribute something to the discussion and move it forward.
- Pointers to new and additional information on the topic being discussed (but please no cut and paste of large blocks of text, links will do the job).
- Wonderful displays of rhetorical style, brilliance or humour.
There are also some types of comments that will simply be deleted if they are submitted. These will be comments that include:
- Attacks against any person or group.
- Vulgarity or obscenity beyond the level found in an ordinary drinking establishment.
- Repetitive, redundant or off-topic arguments, especially if they give inaccurate information or detract from discussion.
- Comments that state a political position without argument, humour or style.
- Posting of material to which a commenter does not have author’s rights.
- Advertising, spam, or irrelevant comments.
I will not enter into debates with commenters about why comments were or were not approved. In the final instance this is my private site, which I operate as a hobby — I spend no money on it, make no money from it, and do it because it amuses me. If anybody finds that their comments are rejected consistently, they might draw a reasonable conclusion and comment somewhere else instead or start up their own site.